Mission Statement: The mission of the National Association of Colored People is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination.
Vision: The vision of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights and there is no racial hatred or racial discrimination.
1. To ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of all citizens.
2. To achieve equality of rights and eliminate race prejudice among the citizens of the United States.
3. To remove all barriers of racial discrimination through democratic processes.
4. To seek enactment and enforcement of federal, state, and local laws securing civil rights.
5. To inform the public of the adverse effects of racial discrimination and to seek its elimination.
6. To educate persons as to their constitutional rights and to take all lawful action to secure the exercise thereof, and to take any other lawful action in furtherance of these objectives, consistent with the NAACP’s Articles of Incorporation and this Constitution.
Founded February 12, 1909, the NAACP is the nation’s oldest, largest and most widely recognized civil rights organization. Its more than half-million members and supporters throughout the United States and the world are the premier advocates for civil rights in their communities, leading grassroots campaigns for equal opportunity and conducting voter mobilization.
On April 14, 1919, the Lansing Branch of the NAACP was chartered under the leadership of Branch President C. A. Campbell. Lansing Branch is one of 2,220 branches in the Association with the mission to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights in order to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.
Our work continues as more generations and allies demand we honor our commitment to advocate for our Black and Brown communities. Our communities expect as much and in response we declare,
We’re Here for You!”