Decline To Sign Away Your Voting Rights!
DO NOT sign away your voting rights to fair and accessible elections!
An anti-voter rights petition has hit the streets all across Michigan and soon there will be people in your community asking you to sign a petition, claiming it will “secure voting rights,” when only the opposite is true. What they will not tell you is that this petition drive is actually an attempt to gather enough signatures so that its backers can get voter suppression legislation on the books in Michigan – an anti-voter process which will allow them to bypass the Governor’s veto. This cynical ploy, if successful, will make voting harder for all Michiganders, especially Black and Brown voters. That’s why the Michigan NAACP is asking you to “Decline to Sign” this petition led by the so-called Secure MI Vote initiative. Do not be fooled!
Spread The Word…
Please share this information with your family, friends, co-workers, church and community:
• Michigan has one of the most secure and accessible election systems in the nation.
• More than 250 audits proved that last year’s General Election had a historic voter turnout and was one of the most secure elections on record.
• If the anti-voter group collects enough signatures, the measure will go directly to the Michigan legislature where a majority of lawmakers can vote it into law without it ever going to the ballot for a vote and without you having an opportunity to voice your concerns – more importantly, the Governor would not be able to use her veto power.
• If this measure becomes law, it would take Michigan’s election system backwards, making it much harder for everyone to vote, especially Black, Brown, Indigenous and other people of color, rural areas, seniors, and voters with disabilities, to cast an unfettered ballot, and by taking away your current Election Day voting options, which we voted for (Proposal 3) and fought so hard to obtain in 2018.
• We urge everyone to Stand Up and Speak Truth to Power! Stop this blatant attempt at suppressing the vote in Michigan. #DeclineToSign!
For additional information, please contact your local NAACP office or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Freedom is not a state, it is an act. Freedom is the continuous action we all must take, and each generation must do its part to create an even more fair, more just society.” – The Hon. John Lewis
Early Voting Begins for May 3rd Lansing School District Bond Election
Extended Hours on Wednesdays & the Weekend prior to Election Day
Voter Registration available until Election Day at City Clerk’s Offices
Mon., Tues., Thurs. & Fri. – 8 am – 5 pm
Wednesdays March 30, April 6, 13, 20, 27 – 8 am – 7 pm
Monday, May 2nd Only – 8 am – 4 pm (due to state law)
In addition to regular hours, the City Clerk’s Election Unit will be open:
Saturday, April 30th – 10 am – 4 pm
Sunday, May 1st – Noon – 4 pm